Saturday, November 5, 2011

My New Weekend Routine

I have a new weekend routine, but before I get into how it's panned out so far, let me share my working situation. For those who don't already know, I telecommute, so I work from home most of the time. In fact, my desk is about four feet from the foot of my bed. And I love it, because I don't have to deal with a morning and afternoon commute, but I do find myself having trouble "shutting down" like I could when I was either "in" the office or "out" of the office.


It's all right to have a life outside of work.

For years now, I've been sort of a workaholic. Heck, I shouldn't say "sort of." I have definitely been a workaholic. But one of my goals for this year was to actually ease up a little and take some time to appreciate other parts of living. It's been weeks since I've put in 50+ hours on work (and I've put in 70+ weeks more than once in the past). And recently, I've started (mostly) unplugging for the weekend.


I have to admit that I was afraid of "cutting back" at first. I mean, if I'm working crazy hours and still buried by work, what would happen if I worked less? It would mean I'd be buried even deeper, right? But the results so far have been incredible.

My weekends have been even more enjoyable than in the past, because I'm not even allowing myself to worry about work from late Friday afternoon to Monday morning. Plus, I've found that lifting that weight off my shoulders has made me super productive during the week.

Instead of worrying about work all the time, I jump in on Monday morning and drive full throttle until Friday. Then, I flip the off switch. My productivity is up; my creativity is up; and my stress is low.

If you find yourself "stuck" in a workaholic state of mind, please consider cutting back as I have. Life is so much more fulfilling when you take a moment to step back and enjoy it a little.

*****

Connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google+. Sign up for e-mail updates on the right to make it easier to follow posts on this blog.



*****

Plus, check out previous Not Bob posts:

6 comments:

Tania Dakka said...

I would love a peek into how you handle writing, your editing job, blogging, and social media. I feel like I can never get my head above water. As a result, I have yet to get into some kind of groove that allows me to manage trying to write books, stories, etc while managing house, kids, and husband. Teach me, Jedi Master. :) Please.

Maggid said...

Congratulations! You are suddenly wealthy with time - of course, you'll have adventures and find even more to write about. I'm looking forward to that - you are so good to share with us.
happiest weekend to you!
-g-

Anonymous said...

Hey Robert, it's awesome that this is working well for you! I've got a question for you though - what do you do if you get ideas over the weekend?

I guess I fear taking that leap from my desk (also four feet from my bed, LOL) for fear of losing possible good ideas during "time off." Have you been able to totally turn off your lightbulb, or do you still jot ideas down over the weekends? Just curious, while considering the same life change. Thanks!

Robert Lee Brewer said...

Colette, I still carry around pen and paper with me. I don't have to plug in for those. Plus, I do still jump online a little, but I don't let myself get "sucked in."

Maggid, yes, it's been great getting out and about on the weekends. And I'll be sharing a lot of myself with a weekly feature starting in 2012.

Tania, I think the main thing is trying not to do too much--and that's a difficult balance to figure out. Especially with kids, it's also something that's always changing.

Marisa Birns said...

This sounds like a sensible, best-of-both-worlds kind of plan.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. Thanks Robert