Monday, February 22, 2010

In Ohio, the sleds are slowly fading

Drove up to Ohio on Friday to spend this past weekend (and next weekend) with the boys. On both Saturday and Sunday, we got in quite a bit of sledding action in my brother David's backyard. My brother is blessed (or cursed, depending upon who has to mow the lawn during the summer) with a slightly steep hill in his backyard that levels off with plenty of room before reaching his fence. Ben and Jonah had a lot of fun; we even made a few ramps so they could get a little (very little) air time.

On Sunday, my mom stopped by, and we all watched my other brother Simon on a recent show he was on for the Speed channel called Dangerous Drives (click here to check it out). Simon is a dangerous driver who also just happens to chase storms. He's pretty good at it, too. Anyway, it's worth watching if you're into storm chasing, dangerous drivers, or young guys with long hair.

*****

Hooray! February is nearly over! That means the tyranny is almost over! The tyranny of February!

*****

Completely unrelated: I love dictionaries! (It's true!)

*****

Somewhat related: I also love exclamation points! (Maybe you noticed!)

*****

Here's some music I've been digging recently (some old, some new):
  1. "Wisconsin Beaches," by Headlights
  2. "Atticus," by the Noisettes
  3. "Love Is Stronger Than Death," by The The
  4. "Shocker in Gloomtown," by the Breeders
  5. "Glad Girls," by Guided by Voices
  6. "No Cars Go," by Arcade Fire

*****

Recent development: Gave up fantasy football and paid off some debt. (Click here to read about it all.)

*****

My positive meter is at around a 9.8 (out of 10) at the moment. If you like being around mostly positive people, then you can follow me on Twitter @robertleebrewer. (& be sure to talk poetry on Tuesdays by using the #poettues hashtag.)

*****

While this post seems to be mostly disjointed and fractured, it also has absolutely no point. Guess I'm just giddy that February is almost over and wanted to give a general update of how things are going in this neck of the woods. I'll try to be a little more focused in March.

4 comments:

Jessie Carty said...

the one good thing about February is my birthday! :)

Robert Lee Brewer said...

February has many good things--including your birthday--Groundhog Day, Valentine's Day, the Super Bowl, the Winter Olympics (every 4 years anyway), Mardi Gras, etc. I'm not saying that February doesn't try more than the other months. Instead, I'm saying that despite all the great February-ness out there, it is still a brutally cold & gray & depressing (historically for me anyway) month, whether I'm in Ohio or Georgia.

... Paige said...

speaking of sleding, we got some snow fluries late yesterday afternoon. it didn't stick to the wet 40 degree surfaces so there was no need to go buy a sled. ;-o

How's that poeming everyday going?

Robert Lee Brewer said...

The poeming is still going strong. Probably post an updated list of poems today.